WET SPOTS - HOW TO AVOID THEM

container-copy

In candle making, a 'wet spot' refers to an air pocket or watermark showing through the wall of a jar candle.  In South Australia wet spots are common due to fluctuating temperatures throughout the day, particularly in the colder months. However while its frustrating because the wet spots can be visually unappealing, they do not affect the burn performance of a candle. 

candle wet spotsCauses

  • Ambient room temperature is too cold
  • Candle sets too quickly (usually due to ambient room temperature)
  • The Candle jar is too cold or too dirty
  • The wrong wax used [for the candle]. 

How to avoid wet spots

Prevent wet spots by thoroughly cleaning and drying jars before use - this will get rid of any film, dust or debris that may be in the jar.

Be sure to use a wax that offers good glass adhesion, such as pure soy or soy blend wax.

Votive/Pillar waxes are explicitly made to shrink away from the mold for easy removal and are not suitable for jar candles.

If your candle jars are cold to touch, we suggest preheating them in a low set oven. Hint: stickums will lift if placed into a warm jar so pre-wick before putting in an oven.  Also, never leave the jars in the oven for longer than a few minutes as the wick primer (wick coating) may melt reducing the wicks rigidity and durability, resulting in poor burn performance.

Candles do not like the cold or fluctuating temperatures, particularly pure soy waxes. Ensure your room temperature is approximately 18-24 degrees Celsius.  Preheat jars, then when you have finish pouring, insulate them by covering them with a box and thick towel, or place in a warming fridge to slow down the cooling process. 

 

Comments

No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Guest
Tuesday, 28 June 2022

Captcha Image